This carry-on packing list came from my September 2018 trip to Europe and Israel. I spent three weeks in Ireland, Israel and Hungary and I was determined to only bring one carry-on plus my laptop bag. Ireland was going to be between 50-60°F and Israel hot and humid. I managed to pack everything I wanted and needed into one carry-on bag without really sacrificing much.
This carry-on packing list is perfect if you want to avoid additional baggage fees, travel light or if you are having a hard time figuring out how to pack for two types of weather. After reading this packing list, you’ll be packing like a minimalist in no time!
Colder Weather? No Problem.
If you’re facing colder weather than 50-60°F, simply switch out the medium-weight coat for a heavy coat and the chambray shirt for a warm sweater you can layer. You’re already set with long-sleeve shirts, so as long as one of your shoes is a versatile boot, you’re good to go!
Carry-On Packing List
So now it’s time to start packing. Before you dive in, read through these helpful tips:
- Only pack clothes you love and enjoy wearing.
- Only bring something if you will definitely wear it 3+ times.
- Pack all versatile items that can be mixed and matched.
- Don’t stress the first time around laying out your items for packing. Just lay it all out and cut down later.
- Choose your carry-on bag first and stick to only bringing what fits inside (reasonably fits inside people).
- GET PACKING CUBES and then roll each item of clothing before placing inside.
- Don’t just try packing minimally, be a minimalist packer. Your new identity chant inside your head is: “I am a minimalist packer. I travel light and in turn, I shine brighter than with a heavy bag of ‘just incases’.” 😉
- 1 chambray shirt – These are so so so versatile! They can look dressy, go over a tank or you could wear it hiking or something! Just get one.
- 2 long-sleeve shirts – 1 black and 1 burnt orange
- 2 tank tops – 1 turquoise spaghetti strap, 1 short tank with “dream & discover” on it
- 2 short-sleeve shirts – 1 striped crop top, 1 white shirt with floral print
- 1 black coat medium weight
- 1 pair jeans
- 2 pairs leggings – 1 black pair, 1 dark blue…but they’re like, nice leggings.
- 1 pair high-waisted shorts
- 1 dressy black romper
- 1 bikini
- 1 very thin tank top for sleeping (but works for outings, too)
- 1 very thin and loose long-sleeve shirt for sleeping (but works for outings, too)
- 1 pair pajama shorts (If you will be in all private rooms (e.g. not hostel dorms) I’d skip this)
- 40 pairs underwear (I know I’m crazy, but I don’t like doing laundry if I don’t have to and I wear one pair during the day and one pair for sleep)
- 3 bras – 1 black bra and 2 bralets
- 7 socks
1 pair black knee-high boots
1 pair rubber flip flops
1 pair black flats
Scarf – floral print to add a little pop to whatever I’m wearing
4 pairs earrings
1 pair cheap sunglasses
4 oz. Shampoo
4 oz. Conditioner
2 oz. Clinique Foaming Face Wash
Small jar of foundation powder
Small jar of bronzer powder
1 oz. Clinique Even Better liquid concealer
Travel-size tooth paste
Electronics & Miscellaneous
Hair straightener inside cloth case
Eagle Creek backpack
Mesh packing cubes
Compact day pack
Laptop bag* – this is seriously the sleekest, most compact laptop case I’ve ever seen. The side pocket has room to fit my MacBook charger, iPhone charger and headphones.
Would I Pack Anything Differently After the Trip?
As you can see in the photos, I rarely wore my boots. It turned out the weather in Ireland wasn’t nearly as cold as I expected, so I’m glad I brought a versatile pair of flats that were comfortable. The boots were worn, just mainly in transit and at night when temperatures were lower. Other than that, I wore everything over and over again.
*She Needs Less is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Do you have any packing tips or tricks that always get you by? I’m always trying to improve my minimalist packing game, so lets connect in the comment section below!